We love Oreos and we love ice cream, so one day when my brother suggested we try making this one we thought “Sweet Idea!” Well we have made it many times since. It is so dang good the flavor is perfect, and the Oreo’s when you do it right are perfect, they stay firm and so tasty. I am sure you will love it as much as we do!
Below the recipe we have links to the products we use for this recipe.
There are affiliate links and if you click on them, at no additional cost to you, I do make a small commission off of it.
Homemade Oreo Ice Cream
- White Mountain Electric Ice Cream Maker with Appalachian Series Wooden Bucket, 6 Quart
- Lrg Plastic Ziplock Bag
- Measuring Cups
- 1 bag Rock salt
- 1 lrg bag Crushed ice
- 1 pint Whipping cream
- 4 cups Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbls Vanilla
- 1 can Evaporated milk 12oz
- 1 Half gallon whole milk
- 1 pkg Any oreos you want
- Take the dasher out of the can
- In the icecream maker can add 1 pint whipping cream, 4 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 Tbls vanilla, 1 can evaporated milk
- Stir really well until all sugar is dissolved
- Fill the can with the whole milk 2/3rds – 3/4ths full
- Put the dasher in, put the lid on, put it in the icecream bucket
- Put the crushed ice in around the can, fill it up to just below the lid
- Add two cups of rock salt, and sprinkle that around on the top of the ice (make sure its not so high that the salt water can get into the icecream, thats why you want to keep it below the lid)
- Final step for now, Turn it on
- Keep an eye on it, when the ice is half way down fill it back up with ice then 2 more cups of rock salt sprinkled on the ice.
- You know when its done, when the motor slows way down and or if you see icecream oozing out the top. Put it in to a lrg bucket or two medium bucks with the lid on and freeze. we use old 1 gallon ice cream bucket that we saved from store bought ice cream. (kind of ironic right :))
- Once the ice cream has frozen, you will then pull it out and let it soften up. You want it soft enough that you can carefully add in the broken up oreos.
- While the ice cream is softening you will get the oreos and put them in a ziplock bag. We like to mash them buy putting a row and a half in a zip lock bag then squishing them with our hands (on the outside of the bag of course) once the oreos are all broken up into the size of chuncks we want we set it aside until the ice cream is soft.
- TRY TO STRAIN THE OREOS YOU JUST SMASHED UP AND GET RIDE OF THE SMALL CRUMBS/DUST SO THE VANILLA DOESN'T TURN GREY.
- Okay once the ice cream is soft and cookies are broken up carefully mix them in together.
- Once this is done put it back in the freezer and all done! Now eat it when ever your ready.
I hope you love this recipe as much as my family does. There will be plenty for you to take to a big gathering and all enjoy together. Or you can just keep it for you and it will last a long time 🙂 Below are links to some of items I use.